Film, Books, Art, Politics, Culture & Shaz!


There's more at
www.shazbennett.com
Or follow me on Twitter or Tumblr.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Michael Caine rocks!


How awesome is Michael Caine! I was reading this article today from NY Magazine.

I had the great honor of meeting Mr. Caine in Hollywood when we did a tribute to him at the Cinerama Dome in 2002.

I'm a master procrastinator and I was kind of joking with him about this problem in the green room and he gave me the best advice, he said, "Oh, you just have to work, don't think about it. And Don’t listen to any negatives. Don’t ever let anybody say anything negative to you and let it affect you at all. Just work. Go ahead."

As a working class gal, I love artists who work and talk about art like a job. It makes sense to me somehow. Michael Caine is one of the most prolific film actors, averaging 2-3 films a year, an average that continued until very recently. To date, Caine has appeared in 132 features and television films.

What I would give to have had the chance to hang out in his London flat in the 60's.

"I was friends with Stan Getz, and Lionel Bart, who wrote Oliver! The painter Francis Bacon lived next door. He always tried to get me into his studio to paint me, but he was very gay and I thought, “I’m not going up there.” An actor called David Baron said he was going to write a play, and I said I’d act in it. He called it The Room and he did it under his real name, Harold Pinter. In the sixties, everyone you knew became famous. My flatmate was Terence Stamp. My barber was Vidal Sassoon. David Hockney did the menu in a restaurant I went to. I didn’t know anyone unknown who didn’t become famous."

I used to joke that maybe we are living in Paris in the 20s and no one knows it yet.

No comments: