Film, Books, Art, Politics, Culture & Shaz!


There's more at
www.shazbennett.com
Or follow me on Twitter or Tumblr.

Monday, February 16, 2009

The Gay Car Blog and Octuplets are Gross

photo: Jean-Pierre, Richard Glatzer, Wash Westmoreland, Brett Berk

A few weeks ago I met this gentleman Brett Berk at North Hill Exhibitions in Chinatown. We must have met before since he was a regular at the Crow bar and I was a bartender there for years, where I was told on more than one occasion that "I was the prettiest drag queen there." Not sure if that's a compliment as a woman but I'll take it.

Anyway, back to Brett, he has a new book coming out, called The Gay Uncle's Guide to Parenting, I just ordered mine online - since Jean-Pierre and I are known as the cool Aunt and Uncle, I think we should study up a bit. Cool Aunts are not nearly as important to a child's artistic endevors as the Gay Uncle, I know my Gunc was crucial to mine. Still, I'll do what I can.

But when I went to Brett's website I found a link to his Gay car column: Stick Shift he writes for Vanity Fair. I love it! You can vote here on where the Masserati Quattroporte Sport Gts is gay or straight. I grew up around cars, my dad owned a leasing company and we drove tons of different cars every week.

I loved naming the cars. Sometimes I would argue with my brothers and my boyfriend about which cars were boys and which were girls. I drove a TR7 in the 80s that still had an 8-track player. But, I called HER Trixie, much to the chagrin of my boyfriend who wanted to call HIM Kitt. But now after reading all of the Stick Shift columns I will never name a car again without considering both its sex and sexuality.

Also, you should read this article about the Octuplets. This article is the most accurate piece I've read of all the Octupulets frenzy: Enjoy. Octuplets are Gross

No comments: